When do I apply for Variable Rate Tuition at Shekinah Christian School?
A student must first apply and be admitted to SCS before being eligible for Variable Rate Tuition. New families are welcome to begin the application process for Variable Rate Tuition at the same time they apply for enrollment. However, an admissions decision will always be made first.
After I submit a Variable Rate Tuition application, when will I receive a final decision?
Our goal is to provide you with an official decision within approximately 2-3 weeks. We wait on FACTS to confirm that they have received all required documentation from you and completed their evaluation process.
Should every new or returning Shekinah Christian School family submit an application for Variable Tuition?
No. Families who are able to pay the exit rate should do so. Any family, whether new or returning, who feels they may be unable to pay the exit rate is welcome to apply for variable rate tuition.
What do you mean by exit rate?
The exit rate is the top rate on the variable tuition scale. It is called the exit rate rather than the “full” rate of tuition because it is the rate at which one exits the variable scale. The exit rate is equal to approximately 75% of the full cost of educating a student. No family pays the full cost of educating their child at Shekinah. The school depends on fundraising to raise the remaining 25% of the cost of education.
Do I need to apply for Variable Tuition at Shekinah Christian School every year?
Yes. A new application must be submitted on an annual basis for any family who believes they will be unable to pay the exit rate.
If I do not qualify for Variable Tuition this year, can I apply again next year?
Yes. We recognize that a family’s circumstances may change.
Do returning students receive priority over new students when applying for Variable Tuition?
Yes. We want an education at Shekinah to remain accessible to as many families as possible. Thus, we welcome applications from new families. However, current Shekinah Christian School families who submit an application will receive priority consideration.
Do I need to apply for admission separately from applying for Variable Tuition?
Yes. An application for enrollment should be submitted prior to applying for Variable Tuition. Parents are allowed to apply for Variable Tuition prior to receiving an official admissions decision. However, an admissions decision will always be made first and separately from Variable Tuition.
Will applying for Variable Tuition impact my student’s chance of being admitted to Shekinah Christian School?
No. Admission applications and Variable Tuition applications are evaluated separately. We do not base our admissions decision on whether a family is applying for variable rate tuition.
What kind of economic situation is typical of a family who qualifies for Variable Tuition?
It’s difficult to describe “typical”. Shekinah serves families from approximately thirty area churches who work and live in different communities with wide-ranging levels of income. FACTS evaluates income, assets, unusual expenses, the size of the family, and a variety of other factors in the application process. We leave the decision to apply for Variable Rate Tuition up to each family. The reason we utilize FACTS in the evaluation process is because we want a third-party service to conduct an objective evaluation.
Are some families granted free tuition?
No. Shekinah believes every family must make a financial investment in their child’s education. The exit rate covers about 75% of the total cost to educate a child and the minimum tuition rate covers about 40% of the cost to educate a student. Our commitment to providing Variable Tuition means that we are sharing that investment with you. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer tuition outside of the published Variable Tuition Range. The other 25% of the cost to educate is paid for through fundraising and auxiliary programs.
Are all admitted students offered Variable Tuition if the family qualifies?
No. It is recommended that families who need assistance apply for Variable Tuition as early as possible. Shekinah does not have the ability to offer Variable Tuition to every student who qualifies for both admission and Variable Tuition. If a student is academically and otherwise qualified for admission to Shekinah, we are willing to place the student on a waiting list in case Variable Tuition becomes available.
Who should I contact with questions about Variable Tuition?
New Families with questions about Variable Tuition should contact
School Administrator Brice Kauffman: firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Families with questions about Variable Tuition should contact
School Treasurer Weldon Shrock: email@example.com